Our client is a global leader among solar energy service providers, with more than 100 megawatts of installed capacity across more than 300 sites in North America and Europe. The company specializes in photovoltaic (PV) solar systems, and the company’s project expertise includes the development, financing, operations, and monitoring of commercial and utility-scale plants. As a pioneer of solar energy services, the firm has maintained a strong commitment to environmental accountability while providing affordable energy solutions to its customers. The company is wholly owned by a global manufacturer of wafers and related semiconductor products which enables our client to leverage proven technologies against other competitive products thus supplying its customers with the most reliable and efficient solar energy systems. In addition, the firm has a burgeoning global portfolio of company-owned projects.
Our country has reached a watershed moment in the development and promotion of renewable energy. The solar industry has continued to experience exponential growth despite recent turbulence in the financial markets. The mandates for renewable energy development keep growing and opportunities abound. Our client has the combination of dedicated capital and perpetual corporate verve to become one of the top three solar providers worldwide. Our client‘s burgeoning reputation has allowed the company to develop an extensive network of utility and commercial customer relationships. They are now looking to tap into the smaller systems (under 100 kilowatts) market.
Our client is seeking a Managing Director, Project Finance to originate, negotiate, structure, and execute smaller system photovoltaic project finance transactions in the US and internationally. This requires very strong negotiation and analytical skills, extreme attention to detail, excellent communication and multi-tasking skills. This is a newly created position and will require an experienced executive with ability to develop new financial products in an entreprenial environment.
- Ability to originate, negotiate, and execute solar project financing structures using a variety of non-recourse project finance structures including sale-leasebacks, partnership flips, and debt and equity.
- Ability to apply financial and structuring knowledge to develop innovative modifications to existing project and financing documents as well as support the development of new structured finance solutions that support corporate goals and the requirements of different geographies or clients.
- Coordinate directly with banks, institutional investors, JV partners, and legal teams to manage the timely funding of current and new solar project transactions.
- Manage internal and external legal staff and advisors in the drafting, negotiation, and execution of term sheets, financing documents, and contracts associated with solar project financings.
- Guide analysts in financial modeling as a result of prior direct financial modeling experience involving the following: real estate, partnerships, EBITD&A stressing, economic drivers, tax variables, etc.
- Liaise with the traditional project finance community to educate them on the attributes of different solar technologies.
Education / Experience Required:
- Seven (7) years of prior transactional experience working within project finance, structured finance, consumer finance, tax equity, lease finance, asset-backed finance, M&A, investment banking, municipal finance, large commercial real estate underwriting, securitization of various asset types, or private equity with significant experience leading the origination, negotiation, and execution of transactions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Finance, Math, Physical Science, Economics or related degree.
- Master’s Degree or MBA with emphasis in Finance or related studies is a plus.
- Prior experience working on solar, wind, or other energy project finance transactions is a plus.
- Ability to effectively operate with high energy and flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving team environment.
- Project management and complex financial modeling experience.
- Prior international and emerging market transactional experience is a plus.
- Desire to work in a rapidly growing company in the renewable energy field.
- Excellent communication skills in both oral and written, additional language skills a plus.
- Advanced Excel skills, familiarity with Word and PowerPoint.